Sunday, January 4, 2009

I am not a big fan of parties, and last night Kevin and I went to a post-Holiday survival party......yay. I always feel out of place, I am not good with small talk or pretending to be interested in "stuff". A room full of gay men is like a mine field of awkward hellos and creepy hugs. Kevin however maneuvers around a party like a "Tron" light cycle, hitting every corner with a smile, and he actually loves to make small talk.
I have always found it odd that is it expected that we gay folks hang out with each other, I am not a big fan of being forced to relate to people whose only commonality is that we don't like vagina. Everyone acts like pack animals and form their groups with force field like barriers, and leaves me at the snack table wondering if there is an alternate universe where shrimp eat people.
In every party there is that moment when you have a balled up napkin and have no idea where the garbage is, and so unlike most humans I hold onto an ever growing napkin-ball rather than simply ask there the trash bin is.
Then, once the guests get used to their surroundings they break-away from the heard and attempt to relate to others. So with my napkin-ball I bravely smiled and chatted up some folks, but unlike the others I wanted to talk about more than the recent articles in "Entertainment Weekly". No, I have not seen "Benjamin Buttons", and my touche' is to talk about comic books and video games...most of these guys could be extras on "Golden Girls" and the last video game they ever played was "make fire".
Without Kevin I would never go out and meet people, and without me he would never know the difference between Batman and Man-Bat. Today we are going to a beer-bust....so I will try to be the "good cubby".

No comments:

Post a Comment