Saturday, June 27, 2009

Forever Farrah


When I was 5 years-old I first laid eyes on Farrah Fawcett in a an episode of "The Six Million Dollar Man", and for the first time I can remember I wasn't drooling over Lee Majors.
Fawcett played Major Kelly Wood, and her smile just melted me, her hair was closing in on her trademark look..but was still untamed. Sitting on a brown shag carpet I asked my mom who the beautiful woman was and my sister interrupted telling me her name was Farrah and she was married to Steve Austin! How dare this woman be married to my future husband!?
About a year later I was introduced to "jiggle TV" and "Charlies Angels", right away all was forgiven. The sight of Jill Munroe skateboarding was all the encouragement I needed to try doing it myself, but I guess feathered hair is needed for good balance!
On the playground I was relegated to the role of Bosley, secretly wishing Trina McNary would get hit in the face with a tetherball and I could rush in and complete the Angelic trio before the end of recess. Alas Trina and her full head of blonde hair remained intact and the best I could manage was the occasional fill-in for Sabrina ( thank you chicken pox, sorry Jodi).
As I grew into my gayness the "Farrah Poster" saved me time and again from worrying my family, they assumed I was lusting after the heavenly figure of a sex symbol ( that's what my Lee Majors poster was for) when in reality I was dreaming of fitting into a red bathing suit and riding Lyle Waggoner like a mechanical bull.
Farrah and I had a falling out when she decided to become a serious actress. When she was burning beds and becoming extreme, she was also hitting a bit too close to home. Even with bruises and movie of the week marquee value I still worshipped the angel.
All was forgiven when Farrah graced "TV Guide" and their Farrah at fifty story. The Angels were getting close again and TNT would air "Charlies Angels" several times a day. Now as a full out and about gay man I could appreciate Farrah in the open.
Over the years living in L.A. I have met all the Angels at one time or another, but after a few close calls I never got to tell Farrah how much she was loved. In an ironic and sad twist Farrah died almost a year after my mother passed away (both from cancer).
In a world full of Pamela Andersons and disposable images Farrah will forever be "that girl" whose smile lit my room in bad times and ushered in so many good times since. If there is a speaker box in heaven then I just want to say "Hello Angel".

1 comment: